CSS Test Suite Results: MS Internet Explorer For Windows 4.01 SP1
Last Tested: 1998 July 14.
This list of bugs has not yet been updated to include those bugs
uncovered by the new version of the CSS Test Suite, released 1998
December 17. The additions to the test suite are significant, and
will include many new bug reports.
The list that follows is a list of bugs in the browser, that is, what is
described is in error. I have also included a few partially supported
features as bugs.
- Miscellaneous import problems
- Class/ID selectors should not be allowed to begin with digits.
The browser displays incorrect behavior, as explained in the link to the
test. It should ignore the properties, since selectors should not begin with
digits. If it accepts them, then authors using MSIE would not realize that
what they did was wrong and not supported by other browsers.
- Line has underline and overstrike.
- No oblique fonts -- can this be done in Windows??
- Default font size is not medium, as it should be.
line-height percentages are interpreted relative to
normal (ca. 120%) rather than to the font-size.
- Repeat-x and repeat-y do not tile in both directions.
- Underlining does not stay the same color throughout the paragraph.
- Not all "align"s work.
- Strange behavior with negative line height.
- top-margin and bottom-margin in percentage units behave oddly (and differently in and out
of TABLE - percent value may be referring to height instead of width when
outside of TABLE
- margin:auto does not cause centering of the block
- There are some serious problems within the table, involving percentage
margins on the top and bottom and more serious problems with the margin:auto
(the padding becomes slightly negative and all but the first line of text is
- top-padding and bottom-padding in percentage units behave oddly (but the
same this time)
- The right-padding is expanded due to justification of text. Is this
border-style: dashed and
border-style: dotted do not work.
The floating images are aligned at their bottom. They must be top-aligned
relative to their containing block-level element (<P>), according to
Section 4.1.4 of
the CSS1 Spec.
- 5.5.25 float
- The bottom edge of the background fill (white) is set by the floated image
rather than by the paragraph (throughout the test), even when the paragraph
is not yet done. When the paragraph is not yet done, the background ends
and then restarts with the next line of text.
- The left margin of the third, fourth, and sixth paragraphs (#img2,
#img3, and #img5) is filled by extra
- The negative top-margin and bottom-margin fail, turning to zero.
- The display tag is only partially supported: none works for a SPAN but
not a P (but it makes the color:red invalid), and the list-item does nothing.
- The horizontal alignment of the list markers is wrong. See the
list-style: inside only works partially for upper-alpha
- Decimal points in percentages are not supported.
- Alternate Stylesheets (1.1)
- text-decoration: blink;
- white-space: (5.6.2)
CSS Testing Information,