...to the International Weather Satellite Images.
- Updated NASA/GSFC links (2004-09-03)
- Updated URL for NRL Monterey tropical cyclone page in quick links.
- Replaced GOES-8 image on index and na1a/CIRA with GOES-12 image. (2003-09-04)
- Did a URL search-replace, replacing
- Removed Nottingham and NASA/GSFC links from the European section. (2003-03-21
- Modified quick links to point to www.goes.noaa.gov for METEOSAT and INDOEX images. (2003-03-21)
- Moved from
- Fixed CIRA links in quicklinks, na1a. (2002-09-21)
- Commented out the mapped Hawaii/NASA images in na1b, leaving only
the original unmapped ones. (2002-09-08)
- Cleaned up links in composites section. Fixed a few wwwghcc.msfc
redirects, and redid the weather channel section (much smaller now,
since the images aren't as good, and are harder to link to).
- Cleaned up some redirected links in quick links section.
- Fixed TITLE element of index/main frame to avoid "Center" throughout.
- Removed "I cannot stress enough (because some people don't realize
this)" from the beginning of the quick satellite images section.
- Fixed intellicast links in comp - still need to fix others (2000-09-24).
- Fixed nottingham link (redirect) and FY2B NASA links (redirect for directory) in asia (2000-09-24).
- Changed JCU links (asia) from www.ece.jcu.edu.au to www.eng.jcu.edu.au (2000-09-23).
- Updated OSU links in na2a.html (2000-09-23).
- Put the French translation of the European section up live rather
than letting it languish for a few details (2000-07-20).
- Added INSAT images from the Indian Meteorological Dept. (2000-07-20).
- Added the SATMOS site to the Archives list, but not anywhere else, yet (2000-05-05).
- Canonical URL changed (beyond my control) to http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/sat/ , although the old one still works
- Made sublinks to the new Weather World images, even though they don't work quite the way the ones on the page do (1999-10-24).
- Updated Joint Typhoon Warning Center links in other sections of European and Asian images (1999-10-18).
- Added Czech Hydrometeorological images: both METEOSAT and NOAA AVHRR (1999-10-16).
- Added links to UQAM images (1999-10-04).
- Added comment to NESDIS images (na1d) about being out of date (1999-08-25).
- Added link to MPEG.ORG (1999-08-24).
- Changed www.cmc.doe.ca to www.cmc.ec.gc.ca (1999-08-24). May I ask who is clueless enough to change a domain name without a redirect on all servers? Must be “good enough for government work”...
- Fixed NOAA GOES server links in eur and asia (GIF to JPG), and
added notes to JTWC and intellicast (1999-06-27).
- Fixed up INPE links in eur (1999-06-27).
- Changed the "German Mirror" of Nottingham from gopher to ftp in eur, asia, and na1d (1999-06-27).
- Removed some weather channel large images that didn't exist anymore
in na3 (1999-06-26).
- Fixed links to FPDT images and a few others in na2s (1999-06-26).
- Changed SSEC links from gopher (defunct) to http in na2b (1999-06-26).
- Removed bad Weather World, NOAA, and FSU images from na2b
- Fixed up Hawaii/NASA images (not regional ones) for ones that were
missing; marked rsd.gsfc as down (1999-06-24).
- Fixed NPMOD Diego Garcia METEOSAT-5 images and added its FY-2B images
- Marked FY-2B images as available again (1999-05-02).
- Made noframes interface the default again (1999-04-13)
- Fixed SatNews link (1999-04-13)
- Changed purdue images to unisys (1999-04-08)
- frindex, index, and noframes are all now in English and Spanish, and
produced using a better system. Links within the frameset are now
language specific, which makes things much easier to maintain. The
language is chosen on the framset. This is all automated! (1999-01-18)
- Fixed up WSI Intellicast Links - some large images moved/disappeared
- Added links to the site sections in the Quick Satellite Images
- Started browser-sniffing the stylesheets. This should put an end
to some weird problems that probably exist, but haven't been reported.
- Added some new OSU images (na/na2a) and marked some as out of
- Added DFD images to comp/derived and eur/polar (1998-12-29)
- Added Earth and Moon Viewer to composites/other (1998-12-29)
- Added RAMSDIS links to Colorado/CIRA (1998-12-29)
- Added Strasbourg site to eur (1998-12-28)
- Added SMIS polar images to asia (1998-12-28)
- Added section on receiving satellite transmissions (1998-12-27)
- Corrected link to all of Dennis Chesters's pages (1998-12-27)
- Changed order of contents - put Unsorted after Links & Galleries
- Started adding the DSRS INDOEX Images, and changed the INDOEX in the
quick links (1998-12-15)
- Started adding list of archives (1998-12-03)
- Added Spanish version of frindex.html (1998-11-21)
- Reworded introductory paragraph slightly (1998-11-15)
- Fixed the dates on this page (1998-11-14)
- Fixed up GOMS stuff a little bit (1998-11-07)
- Added and removed announcement about GOES-8 problems - (1998-10-27 to 1998-11-0?)
- Changed the top heading by removing the word "Center" from the
- Changed all links from orbit7i.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/ to
- Explained quick satellite images better and put note about CIRA
GOES-8 problem (1998-10-07)
- Added the image counter (from FAS) to toc2start.html and
noframes.html (1998-10-03, 2100 UTC)
- Added three more paragraphs to the history section (paras
3, 4, and 5) and put explanation on access statistics (1998-10-03)
- Added INDOEX images from NPMOD Diego Garcia (1998-10-01)
- Moved site to Harvard, http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/sat/ (1998-09)
- Fixed up design of "Quick Satellite Images" box (1998-09-03)
- Added U of Albany Images (1998-08-29)
- Sorted out the stuff in eur/#other (including ESO and NEMOC) (1998-08-11/12)
- Fixed GHCC links (9 -> 10) and changed cyclone.msfc.nasa.gov to
- Added some NRL images to na1d (not the overlays yet) and added
a brief outline of the NRL section to comp (1998-07-24)
- Scratched the Quick Contents in the noframes version, as it
was mostly broken anyway (1998-07-23)
- Added new links to the satellite information page (1998-07-23)
- Changed some GOES-9 to GOES-10 and added some GOES-10 (1998-07-23)
- Added some to the na information page (1998-07-22)
- Added some to the eur information and fixed up asia and eur structure (1998-07-21)
- Added Much to asia (Satlab, Kochi, VUW, Other) and added
JTWC to eur/#other and fixed comp/#global (=SSEC) with Kochi
- Added Washington (na1 / comp), INPE (na1 / eur), and NOAA
(na2s) images (1998-07-19)
- Fixed up formatting of na2, na2s, na3, na4, siteinfo, satinfo, and
- Fixed up formatting of comp, na1, eur, and asia (1998-07-18)
- Changed style sheet (1998-07-17)
- Added descriptive introductory paragraphs (1998-07-08)
- More work on adding North American Images (1998-07-06/07/08)
- Added METEOSAT-7 Images from NASA and fixed all nottingham images (1998-07-07 ?)
- Removed Gallery -- it has gone nowhere (1998-07-03)
- Fixed up the Hawaii/NASA Images sections in GOES and GMS (1998-07-03)
- Fixed a few INDOEX links and added a few more - & put it in
Quick Satellite Images (1998-07-03)
- Fixed up the composites section of na1 and moved it into na3 (1998-07-02)
- Fixed up frindex files and did link checks on satinfo,
siteinfo, comp, and na (1998-07-01)
- Fixed up satinfo, siteinfo, and comp[osites] sections (1998-06-30)
- Finished fixing up the Purdue section in na2.html (1998-06-25)
- Added METEOSAT-5/INDOEX section to Asia (1998-06-24)
- Changed METEOSAT-6 to METEOSAT-7 and fixed up Nottingham section, mainly
by adding new Archive/GIF site. Fixed reference to Nottingham GOMS image (1998-06-24)
- Added style/default, a CSS stylesheet (1998-05-17)
- Changed look of tables and changed bg color from f0f0ff to ffffff (1998-05-03)
- Added new sites section to frindex and to noframes and put in GHCC (1998-03-28)
- Added "health" to disclaimer (1998-03-21)
other links. (1998-02-22)
- Added disclaimer to nonframes version (1998-02-22)
- Added disclaimer to frames version (1998-02-05)
- Changed all rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov links to http and added FY-2 images. (1998-01-21)
- Site moved to http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/david/satellite/, since www.t-e.k12.pa.us is going away December 31
- Removed Sites that link to IWSIC (1997-09-01)
- Split North America - (late 1997-08)
- Fixed Colorado links (1997-07-23)
- New GOMS Image via METEOSAT (1997-07-16)
- Added Quick Satellite Links to front page (1997-06-05)
- Removed all links to Michigan State University site (http://wxweb.msu.edu/weather), since it is no longer serving images. (1997-05-17)
- Changed some information regarding Colorado and added better interface to archive. (1997-05-17)
- miscellaneous changes
- Added other METEOSAT sites section (1997-03-09)
- Updated Feng Yun 2 Information (1997-03-09)
- Changed METEOSAT-5 to METEOSAT-6 (1997-03-08)
- Redid the UIUC links (1997-03-01)
- Added CIRA GOES-9, fixed main CIRA link (1997-02-28)
- Added GOMS Stuff - put notice that it was available (1997-02-23)
- Fixed some GMS5 stuff - NASA images (1997-01-22)
- Changed main frame index to centered rather than bullets. Trying
(and failing) to redesign subindices in frames (1996-12-25)
- Added Starting Point Image (1996-12-25)
- Added LSU (1996-09-28)
- Cosmetic work; added noframes version (1996-07-15)
- Split Site Information section into multiple files.
Americas, Europe/Africa, and Asia/Australia will be next. (1996-07-14)
- Some cosmetic work (1996-07-14)
- Added to satellite information (1996-07-13)
- Added SSEC CIMSS (1996-07-13)
- Added Environment Canada (1996-06-21)
- Added Albany site (1996-06-12)
- Added FSU Imagery Back (1996-06-11)
- Worked on descriptions for Composites (finished) and North
America (started) (1996-06-08)
- Added Some INSAT Information (1996-06-08)
- Added SMIS GOMS Images (1996-06-06)
- Added WeatherNet Quote (1996-06-05)
- Switched to frames version (1996-05-31)
- Removed all inlined images (1996-05-31)
- Added subsection lists at the top of satinfo and siteinfo (1996-05-25)
- Worked on frames version a bit (1996-05-25)
- Added some information to Geostationary Sat. Info (1996-05-25)
- Added Colorado Images (1996-05-18)
- Worked on ratings (1996-05-18)
- Made contents and made old contents the "quick contents" (1996-05-18)
- Added GOES-9 imagery from NASA/ARC (1996-05-18)
- Reorganized Site into subdirs - (had been sitting around for a while) (1996-05-18)
- Added IMS Alaska Polar Img. Site (1996-05-18)
- Added ratings listing (1996-04-30)
- Added note about small links at top of contents (1996-04-30)
- Rewrote some information (1996-04-28)
- Changed index to have bigger headings (1996-04-28)
- Made Global Polar Imagery Archives section in comp.html (1996-04-27)
- Moved WeatherNet travel cities weather to Intellicast/NA section (1996-04-27)
- Moved quote/magellan image to bottom of home page (1996-04-27)
- Added Reviewed by Magellan (1996-04-26)
- Added DMSP Browse Imagery to Polar (1996-04-13)
- Added satellite image gallery (1996-04-13)
- Added some polar imagery all around (1996-04-07)
- Added SMIS Noaa Imagery of Russia (1996-04-06)
- Corrected Colorado State links - they said University of Colorado (1996-04-05)
- Added satellite sites listing (1996-04-04)
- Added links to
The Philadelphia Inquirer and article. The link
to the article will probably be inaccessable when they start
charging for it. Also added link to The Chicago Tribune. (1996-04-03)
- Reorganized introductory material - made info.html (1996-04-03)
- Added the WeatherNet4 interactive viewer under NASA/GSFC -
should give it a more prominent location, but.... (1996-04-03)
- Removed old pages for fear a search engine might get to them
- Added a reference to Dennis Chesters in Data Formats. (1996-04-02)
- Added access stats for the backup page. (1996-04-02)
- Added very old page to history section, and added warnings on
those pages. (1996-04-02)
- Added access stats for main site (1996-04-01)
- Added history section (1996-04-01)
- Put years on the modifications in "Older Modifications" below
- Made headers all green due to my concern with the visibility
of headers, especially in the GMS section (see yesterday) (1996-04-01)
- Did extensive work on those annoying, but good, NASA GMS images (1996-03-31)
- Fixed links to CHS Home Page, which was moved (1996-03-30)
- Added Chicago Tribune reference and quote. (1996-03-29)
- Fixed GMS sector images from JCU (1996-03-27)
- Added note about deficiency in GMS/NASA section (1996-03-25)
- Added a bunch more referring sites (1996-03-13)
- I will no longer note these.
- Removed the NASA/ARC GOES-7 images. (1996-03-11)
- Did a little work on the text in the introduction. (1996-03-11)
- Fixed up some satellite information on the GOES satellites. (1996-03-08)
- Got a very basic start on the new Weather World images that
are only on the gopher - I may have a bit more time to work
on the page in the next few weeks. (1996-03-07)
- Most renaming of the JCU Images done (1996-02-01)
- Added some new headings to North America page...will expand
later ... also stuck a note at the top of that about the
satellite change and added a note to the introduction requesting
more information from those who know it. (1996-01-19)
- Added JCU Images...to be given better names when I
know what they are! (1996-01-13)
- Added a new GMS-5 Link (JCU) - to be expanded later - GREAT!
- Reorganized Page somewhat...incorporated polar imagery (1996-01-10)
- Added many new images to METEOSAT section - including
imagemaps, and fixed up section a bit (1995-12-29)
- Put in CCN7 Archive in Meteosat and took out JPEG (1995-12-29)
- Put new MSU images into page...mainly mirrors and movies. (1995-12-28)
- Added WSI Composites on regional pages as well (1995-12-27)
- Moved GOES Information stuff to bottom of page (1995-12-27)
- Put separate section for GOES channel information (1995-12-27)
- Reorganized the GOES images - no more separation by satellite
- Put flags into different directory (1995-12-27)
- Fixed some informational stuff about the satellites (1995-12-16)
- Fixed up organization of main page...put table of contents first (1995-12-10)
- Partially Fixed up GMS-5 Imagery - Still needs more added (1995-12-10)
- Dulled Background Color (1995-12-08 ?)
- Added "Listed On" Section (1995-12-03)
- Split Page into subpages (1995-11-24)
- Put Antarctica with other composites at the beginning. (1995-11-24)
- Added WSI Composites (1995-11-24)
- I attempted to rewrite the current situation with the GOES
satellites. I wish someone would have one nice write-up that explained
the whole thing. Dennis Chesters sort of does. (1995-11-18)
- Note: The Link to this page has changed as of
have given it its own directory ( http://www.t-e.k12.pa.us/~dbaron/satellite/ ) because I am planning to split it into
a number of pages.
- Fixed some bad links (1995-10-07 to 1995-10-09)
- Added Meteo-France METEOSAT-5 Images
- Removed inline image of small verson of Global Montage that was having
trouble loading and some other redundant inline images. (1995-?)
Status of link checking
I occasionally run link checks using Netmechanic's
link check tool. Here is the status information. It's
more for my own use, but I may as well keep it public.
This may be out of date.
||Done, but some bad links left
||NEEDS REDO - FIX INPE IMAGES TOO
||Done, should look for Purdue's archive
||Done, but needs new links added
||Done, except for intellicast
||Done, left a few "(bad link?)"
||Done, except for intellicast
||Done, except for intellicast
Need to Redo